On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Dan Tappin wrote:

> Does any one have a suggestion on running a daily / weekly e-mail
> notification based on results from a MySQL query?
>
> I have a table with date sensitive rows.  The idea that as rows become
> stale (they were created / updated more than a week or month ago) the
> owner of the row is sent an e-mail with a summary of the stale items or
> even just a link back to a web page for updating.
>
> The e-mail addresses would come from a related 'user' table.  The stale
> data table would have the 'user' id in a column for a JOIN statement.

I do something similar using a shell script run by cron. This pipes a
query into mysql like this:

        cat mysql_command.list | mysql -u <user> -p<password> database

where the file mysql_command.list is a plain text file containing the
query which uses SELECT INTO OUTFILE to dump fields containing membership
IDs, names and email addresses of all entries between two dates of a
membership database into a CSV file. Then the script continues using sed
and cut to create a mail message body and header from the data in this CSV
file which can be piped into mail (/bin/mail, /bin/mailx or whatever you
have on your system) or even directly into sendmail. It works fine.

Andy