Thanks for the info.
I'm running MySQL 4.0.14 under Redhat 8.0 / Linux 2.4.20.
Here are the timings I ended up with from playing with innodb_flush_method:

innodb_flush_method=fdatasync (default)  10 minutes 37 seconds
innodb_flush_method=littlesync           10 minutes 22 seconds
innodb_flush_method=O_DSYNC               5 minutes 18 seconds
innodb_flush_method=nosync                3 minutes 12 seconds
MyISAM tables instead of InnoDB           2 minutes 34 seconds

Now of course, the question is what potential harm am I looking at by using nosync or o_dsync?

Mikhail Entaltsev wrote:

Paul,

if your MySQL server is runnign under Linux then try to play with
"innodb_flush_method" variable.
I've changed it to O_DSYNC and InnoDB became ~ 9 times faster (Suse 8.2
Linux 2.4.20-4GB i386).
Also check that you didn't allocate too much memory (OS shouldn't swap).

Best regards,
Mikhail.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Gallier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>