You said ------------------------------------------

I am trying to establish temporary tables that are accessible via MyODBC.
I can create the table with data in it and query it from the MySQL command
line, but it never shows up through MyODBC.  Is there something magical
about temporary (memory-based) tables that prevents this?

----------------------------

I think you are misundersanding temorary tables. Temporary tables are not
necessarily in ram: unless you specify otherwise, they will be created on
disk. However, temporary tables are (a) only accessible via the connection
which created them and (b) deleted automatically when that connection is
closed. This means that you do not have to think og unique table names for
short-life scratch tables.

What I think you want is a Heap table, created by specifying TYPE=HEAP in
your create command - see http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/HEAP.html . Heap
tables have certain restrictions, and disappear when mysql is stopped, but
are visible to all users.

      Alec