At 23:19 +0000 3/4/03, Mamatha Balasubramanian wrote:
Thank you once again.

I have a web-interface that does search on a given text and I would have a script that creates a temporary table. So according to you, in my script, I just to need
create a temporary table and not have to worry about another client using the same web interface (and thereby using the same program). Can you please elaborate a little more on this?

Sure.

You are incorrect. :-)

That is, you're making an assumption that cannot necessarily be made.
If you can guarantee that the web script will establish a new connection,
and the connection will terminate when the script ends, you can indeed
do what you describe above.

But you *cannot* do that if you're running your script in an environment
that uses persistent connections that may be used by successive instances
of the script.  PHP persistent connections fall into this class, for
example.  Several requests might be served by the same instance of the
web server process, and you don't know that one request won't be getting
the connection used by a previous request.  In that case, the connection
won't have closed, and the TEMPORARY table won't have disappeared.

You can guard against this by issuing this query before creating the
TEMPORARY table:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS tbl_name

Thanks, Mamatha