I'm rather new to OS X after not using a Mac since grade school.  I have a bit of UNIX
experience so its not too complicated but having never administered to either I've
been
having some difficulty setting mySQL up after the auto-install.  I'm interning for a
company and the computer I'm using is a consultants'  computer where I'm just one of
many users but only I need to be able to play with mySQL and my boss is the
administrator.  I can log in as 'root' if need be.  After the install I get
errors like:

        [Sipa-Consultantss-Computer:~] andrewcallan% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin
-u
                                                                        root password
[password]

      /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
      error: 'Can't c   onnect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock'(2)'
        Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

        [Sipa-Consultantss-Computer:~] andrewcallan% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql

      ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/
      mysql.sock' (2)

I've tried installing, deleting, and reinstalling several times to try setting it up
in different
environments (e.g. as myself, logged in as root, autheticating as root when i'm logged
in
as myself) without success.  I was almost there one time I think but could not figure
out
what the "mysqladmin -u root -h 'hostname' password <password> " wanted for
hostname, now I presume I should type exactly 'localhost' --is that correct?  Any
assistance as to what user I should be logged in as and what the exact sequence of
commands i should run to set up the package (including deleting previous install)
would
be great, many thanks in advance.

     Andy Callan

--