Andy Callan wrote:

>When i try to startup the mysqld it works but then I get "msqld ended"
>immediately afterwards, I tried to follow the two posts about that
>with the online documentation with no luck.  If you need anymore info
>just let me know, thanks a lot for your response.

Find the error log (which will be called <machine-name>.err and will be
in your data directory) and see what it says.  It generally prints an
error that pretty much tells you what you need to do.

I don't  know where the package installer puts the data directory on OS
X, but it might by /usr/local/mysql/data

--Ware