Emilio-
I ran into this problem just yesterday using some PHP code. The problem was in
control logic.  I executed the insert within an if statement, but failed to see
that there was another mysql_query statement outside the if block. This caused
the same insert to happen again.

Basically, in psuedo code

if (found){
  query = "INSERT ...."
  mysql_query (query)
} else {
  query = "UPDATE ...."
  mysql_query (query)
}

mysql_query(query)

Stupid logic on my part.  This doesn't adress the date being blank, but I would
suggest reviewing your logic to see if there is a mysql_query that is being
executed 2 times.

My 2 cents...