Well the issue wasn't so much with my program at runtime, but at design time
(now).  What I am doing is hardcoding the string that creates the table into
the program.  Program then calls SHOW CREATE TABLE and compares the two
strings to see if they are the same.  If not, it drops and recreates.

What I have to do everytime I add a table and want to hardcode it in, is run
SHOW CREATE TABLE myself when I know the table is correct and then copy that
string into my program.  That copying part is where I am having difficulty.
It is taking a while for me to figure out where linebreaks, spaces, etc. are
in it.  I spend way too much time trying to make everything line up
character per character.
On the other hand if it was all on one line it would be a simple matter of
copy/paste in.  This, to me, seems like it would be much better to see as
well.
If you can suggest another method to accomplish this, I'm definitely willin
to listen.  I previously was using DESCRIBE to figure out if the table was
correct... But the code to compare each field of each table was getting
rather messy -- MUCH messier than simply saying:

String create = "some create string"
String str = run SHOW CREATE TABLE
If (create != str)
        recreate table