I tend to agree with the past two posts that mysql is in fact relational,
and would like to add that if we are going to make blanket statements that
something IS or IS NOT that we qualify our responses.  personlly i would
like to know why Martijn views it as being a non relational db, without
argument.  If you just say its so, why am is supposed to take that
statement over those that provide a full email of text like bluejack or
John that provided additional information via a link.

Just saying No, to a question like that does not lend to learning only to
confusion.

sorry about the mini rant....
jeff

                      bluejack

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject:  Is MySQL Relational? (was:
Foreigner keys in MySQL?)
                      10/28/2003 11:38

                      AM

10/28/03 8:11:16 AM, "Martijn Tonies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> If you are trying to determine whether MySQL is a relational database,
>> the answer is yes.
>
>Ehm... the answer is "no".
>
>It's getting better, that's for sure.

MySQL may or may not conform to some standard or another, and it may
or may not perform the tasks that you, personally, want it to, but
in fact it *is* a relational database, as opposed to a flat file or
an object database.

I recommended the questioner evaluate her needs against MySQL's
available feature set, because if you are used to Oracle (or some
other robust, commercial relational database) you may be surprised
at some of the differences or absences in MySQL.

But the questioner made it seem as though she was really just
trying to get a feel for the basics scope of MySQL, and in that
context, yes, MySQL is designed to a implement a relational
database model as opposed to some other fundamental type of
database.

So, what's your laundry list of things MySQL should do?

--bluejack