Begging to differ, no vendor that I'm aware of claims to be compliant with a
paper or textbook. They tend to comply with an adopted standard such as:

ANSI/ISO/IEC 9075-1(through 5):1999
ISO/IEC 9075-1(through 5):1999

Collectively known as SQL:1999. While I'd offer that MySQL *is* a relational
database, (even though I'm very new to the environment); I think there's some
ways to go before MySQL has core compatibility with SQL:1999. That's what's
more important to me, the adoption of accepted standards.

Michael Brando
Senior Manager of Engineering
Applied Biosystems
3833 North First Street