Hi Trevor,

I suggest you to compile and reinstall MySQL from the source distribution.

A suggested option is

CFLAGS="-O3" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions \
       -fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler \
       --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

For more information, please refer to
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Installing_source.html

If you are running a RH Linux try to modify the --prefix=/usr, so you
can use the RH scripts, and don't forget to set up something like --datadir

This is my configure options, hope it helps.

--prefix=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --with-innodb
--with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-thread-safe-client
--enable-local-infile --enable-assembler --disable-shared
--with-client-ldflags=-all-static --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static --quiet

Cheers,
Leo