Roger Baklund wrote:

ok... If you did this:

- create temp table
- use temp table
- drop temp table

for each session, I would expect it to work. (atleast until a session
crashes before it drops the temp table.)

This is straying from the original question :-) but my understanding of temp tables is that each "user" can create a table with the same name, and that table is visible *only* to that user, and disappears at session end. But with connection pooling, the temp table belongs to the connection, not the end user. So the next user to "create" one doesn't actually get a new, unique table.

OK, I'd say that answers it: I can watch (tail -f) my query log and
see *one* MySQL connection id handle requests from different users
on different systems. Or am I still misinterpreting something?

No, that sounds right. I would expect all queries from one user (=one session) coming together, then all queries from the next session and so on. This is not the case with Tomcat?

No. The same process handles a query from user #1, then one from user #2, then another from user #1, and so on. Hence my impression that requests are interleaved, and LAST_INSERT_ID() isn't really guaranteed in this circumstance.

That's using Tomcat 4.1.x + Jakarta commons-dbcp pooling, BTW.

--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

dream. code.