I am having trouble undertanding a few things with mysql.
OS X 10.3, MySql 4 current stable

I cp'd my-large.cnf to /etc/my.cnf
This is the first time I have ever had this file in use, I have just over a
Gig of ram, so I thought it would be a good idea to use this setting.

All seems to work fine with one exception. I run phpBB, and a certain query
on there takes a long long time, I have not been able to figure out why,
generally, it is 30 seconds, it is really not a hard one, just a select
this, that from table where posts = 0 limit 32.  (Or something really close
to that)

I moved out the my.cnf in /etc that was from the -large.cnf configuration, I
then restarted mysql, and this page loads in a split second.

This could be a coincidence as well, since perhaps just restarting mysql
fixed it a little, generally, a restart will make the page load fast for a
few hours.

Does using my-large.cnf do something in regards to how tables are treated,
perhaps they get auto-locked or something?

Also, if I ps -aux | grep mysql I see 2 mysql processes running...

sh ./bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data
--pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/my.host.pid

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld
--defaults-extra-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/my.cnf
--basedir=/usr/local/mysql --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data --user=mysql
--pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/my.host.com.pid

I am very curious why and how the
--defaults-extra-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/my.cnf Is there.  Is this
telling me the /etc/my.cnf was never read anyway?  I do not have a my.cnf in
/usr/local/mysql/data/my.cnf so this makes no sense to me.  Can someone
explain this all to me please?

I am now running with no my.cnf, so I guess mysql is using some set of
compiled in defaults.  How do these differ from my.cnf?