OS X 10.3 and mysql 4.x, I have a situation where after time certain queries
get really slow, in the area of 30 seconds.  I seem to have pinned it down
to my use of my-large.cnf.  If I remove this file and let just the mysql
defaults in, then I seem to not have the trouble, at least, I have 8 hours
on it now with no degrade in performance.

On a machine with 896MB of ram, would there be anything in my-large.cnf that
would cause this?  I do run apache, which does some pretty minimal serving.

Perhaps I should be custom making a cfg file, if so, what do you look for to
optimize your config?