Hi all,

I'm in the planning phase of a hosted web application where all instances of the app (a sort-of website CMS) will be running off a single code source. I've got a clear picture about everything except for the database design.

a) I could have a separate database & table structure for each website in the application

b) I could have a single database for all instances, but individual table structures for each (eg client_tablename)

c) I could have all data from all instances in one table structure, with a website_ID for each record, signifying which site the record relates to.

I'm leaning towards (c) on the basis that updates to the database and table structure will be a breeze (only have to update one instance), but I'm concerned about performance.

Let's say I had 20,000 articles belonging to 100 websites. Would there be a performance loss by having all 20,000 articles in one table, with a indexed `siteID` column identifying which site each article belongs to, as opposed to 100 tables (one for each site) holding only their own data??

Should I worry at 40,000? 100,000? Or will the indexing of the siteID keep everything extensible?

--- Justin French http://indent.com.au