Sorry, since solving the strange negative photo
preview image on my r128 machine I tried to solve the
same problem on my Mach64 mythfrontend machine, and
the mach64 machine also has other video problems so
simply disabling preview isn't really the complete
solution.

The Mach64 is a 400mhz CPU so its other problem of
slightly stuttering video may be unsolvable.  However,
I have a sneaking suspicion that Xv will allow me to
play video without using 100% CPU.  I seem to be able
to play movie trailers from apple.com without any
problems, at 480x360, and although that's not an
identical task it does give me hope that I may be able
to eliminate this very slight video stutter.

I like the idea of not previewing the entire video,
maybe just preview the first 10 seconds and then
pause.