Well, with Xv and a nvidia card and singlehead, there shouldn't be any tearing whatsoever on video playback, unless you disable that through the nvidia-settings app. That's built in to the driver.

Tearing, though is separate from the vsync support code in myth, which uses the vsync info it gets for more accurate delivery timing. You do have to enable the opengl sync method in settings.pro for that vsync method to work, though.

Isaac

Is there or will there be a way for MythTV to have vsync support without OpenGL, DRM, etc.? Like myself there must be a great number of people that built their HTPC around a barebone which looks good in the living room. Most of the times, these don't have high-end ATi or nVidia video chips OR a video upgrade option. Also, TV-outs are not always capable of processinginterlaced material, which leaves the need for either a hardware workaround (VGA to RGB converter) or good software deinterlacing WITH vsync support.

I am still trying to get a satisfactory, full frame rate and most important of all steady (!) image because the only available deinterlacer, bobdeint, goes jittering *a lot* without proper vsync. Sigh. As soon as my vga2rgb cable is working (read: lots of modeline tuning) I will finally be able to watch smooth TV on my Pundit!

-- Jeroen