Hi Francois,

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 17:33 +0200, Job Snijders wrote:
> Dear Francois,
>
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 03:22:23PM +0000, Francois Lecavalier wrote:
> >
> At this point in time I think the ideal deployment model is to
> perform
> the validation within your administrative domain and run your own
> validators.

+1

> > But I also have a question for all the ROA folks out there.  So far
> > we
> > are not taking any action other than lowering the local-pref - we
> > want
> > to make sure this is stable before we start denying prefixes.  So
> > the
> > question, is it safe as of this date to : 1.Accept valid, 2. Accept
> > unknown, 3. Reject invalid?  Have any large network who implemented
> > it
> > dealt with unreachable destinations?  I'm wondering as I haven't
> > found
> > any blog mentioning anything in this regard and ClouFlare docs only
> > shows example for valid and invalid, but nothing for unknown.

We have been dropping Invalids since April, and have had only a
(single-digit) handful of support requests related to those becoming
unreachable.

The larger challenge has been related to vendor implementation choices
and bugs, particularly on ios-xe. Happy to go into more detail if
anyone is interested.

I would recommend *not* taking any policy action that distinguishes
Valid from Unknown. If you find that you have routes for the same
prefix/len with both statuses, then that is a bug and/or
misconfiguration which you could turn into a loop by taking policy
action on that difference.

Cheers,

Ben