On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:31 PM Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 July, 2019 11:18, Christopher Morrow
> <morrowc.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM Paul Timmins <p...@telcodata.us> wrote:
>
> >> Chris it would be trivial for this to be fixed, nearly overnight,
> >> by creating some liability on the part of carriers for illicit use of
> >> caller ID data on behalf of their customers.
>
> >'illicit use of caller id' - how is caller-id being illicitly used
> >though?
> >I don't think it's against the law to say a different 'callerid' in
> >the call session, practically every actual call center does this, right?
>
> The problem is that CallerID is not really the CallerID.  It is some
> fraudulent shit created by the caller.  This is not how "CallerID" was
> originally sold.  It was sold as being the ID of the Caller.  If it is not
> the ID of the Caller then Fraud is being committed and the bastards should be
> castrated (or worse), and the CEO and Directors of the carrier responsible
> for fraud getting through to the end-user should face the same penalty.

This is why I said ANI in one of my messages, yes.
you CAN, however, in the network  see the callerid, and ANI and tell
what's going on...
(credit where due: a kind caller noted to me:
  https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1028
which may make the use of 'someone elses' callerid by 'me' illegal)

-chris