On 10/14/19 3:06 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

That is not why people are surprised.  When the house doesn't have power, and doesn't have home generator or UPS, (most) people are less surprised their DSL or Cable modem and VOIP doesn't work anymore.

The reasons I saw people angry on twitter was no Comcast service even when they had power at the house (utility, generator, UPS). Their Comcast service died quickly, even when the home had power but the Comcast outside plant didn't seem to have any backup power.

DSL modems also need power at the home, but the telco providers seem to have more backup power in the outside plant or central offices.  That meant DSL worked as long as the house had power (or a home generator or UPS).

So it turns out that our local telco/isp does keep dsl running via the same mechanism as they keep pots power backed up (i'm guessing it's a diesel generator at the co, but am not sure). It seems that a lot of the pedestals terminating the local loop these days do the conversion to IP right there with sip/h.248/mgcp/rtp. I'm not sure how they get power to the pedestal, but these were all a home run to the co at one time so it probably wasn't hard to power them from the co. For all i know, that's how they're all powered all the time, with a transfer switch at the co, rather than tapping the local grid next to the pedestal.

Of course this is a lot of conjecture on my part... be glad to be clued in by folks in know.

Mike