It sounds like you don’t have an experienced fiber optic network engineer on
the project yet. There is much more to facilities monitoring then just checking
for disruption. I recommend that you either retain a consulting engineer or
employ one during development. I’m sure operators here are happy to share their
ideas, but you will need some expertise in fiber infrastructure to make
intelligent decisions about optics, wavelengths, in-band versus out-of-band
administration, and a slew of other topics.

Doing this without experienced engineering help is like starting an airline
without pilots :-)

-mel via cell