On 1/4/21 10:01 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
Any device with speaker should produce audible alert and any
device with display should produce visible alert.

I'm not sure typical North American residential construction could tolerate the sonic pressure generated by such a "goal"...

Streaming devices, sure. They're in-line with conventional distribution channels for emergency alerts such as television, radio, etc. That would include "smart speakers", TV streaming sources, etc.

But my refrigerator, washing machine, etc. does not need to do this...many could (they have Internet connectivity in some cases), but that's just overkill and honestly silly.

I'm also of the mindset that, in the end, the owner/operator of a given device should be given the authority to disable emergency alerts on that device. It's their device, after all. They may have other ways they prefer to receive such alerts, or they may want to die in a tornado. I'm not going to stop them. Conventional devices like TVs only alert when on, and things like weather radios can be placed into a non-alerting mode without losing other owner-relevant functionality.

I'll note that most mobile phones allow the user to turn off most (though usually not all) emergency alerts. Non-OEM OS ROMs often go further.
--
Brandon Martin