On 2/15/21 10:02 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:

On 2/16/21 07:49, Matthew Petach wrote:

Isn't that a result of ERCOT stubbornly refusing to interconnect with the rest of the national grid, out of an irrational fear of coming under federal regulation?

Yes. This has been widely documented in numerous articles, both very recently and previously.

I suspect that trying to be self-sufficient works most of the time--but when you get to the edges of the bell curve locally, your ability to be resilient and survive depends heavily upon your ability to be supported by others around you.  This certainly holds true for individual humans; I suspect power grids aren't that different.

If there was a state-wide blackout, they'd need to restart from the national grid anyway. Why not have some standing interconnection agreement with them anyway, that gets activated in cases such as these?

Sorry, unfamiliar with U.S. politics in this regard, so just doing 1+1.

"Sorry, unfamiliar with U.S. politics in this regard, so just doing 1+1"

You don't understand Texas politics relative to the United States at large.

Which is fine, but this is a state that had deliberately prevented interconnects (see: ERCOT, above) into any extended national grid, principally to evade the resulting exposure to Federal regulation.

Texas [politicians] are constantly threatening to secede.

- John