On 3/11/21 2:28 PM, Jared Brown wrote:
Out of interest, why does it take multiple weeks to edit a GEO IP entry?

I have no idea /why/.  I only know that it /is/.

I /assume/ -- from a place of ignorance about the innards of the process -- that there is validation and manual approval. I also /assume/ that there are enough requests that there can be a backlog, hence why there is variance. There may also be something as silly as the process that amalgamates things is run every other week. I simply do not know /why/ I only know that it is.

I wonder why Google even has this problem at all. If you've so much as looked at Google maps or used any app that uses location services then Google knows with a high certainty where you are.

I think that there is more to it than meats the eye. Especially when you consider how to deal with things like the 2nd hand IP market and ISPs from neighboring countries that aren't exactly friendly with each other.

This is a problem Google actually *can* automate away.

I assume -- from a place of ignorance -- that you are correct in that there is room for process improvement.

I do trust that colleagues are adhering to and executing the process to the best of their ability.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die