https://www.avinta.com/phoenix-1/home/RevampTheInternet.pdf

Hope the above makes sense to you.

Regards,

Abe (2022-04-02 23:10)

On 2022-04-02 16:25, Matthew Petach wrote:

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 6:37 AM Masataka Ohta <mo...@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

    If you make the stateful NATs static, that is, each
    private address has a statically configured range of
    public port numbers, it is extremely easy because no
    logging is necessary for police grade audit trail
opacity.
                    Masataka Ohta

Hi Masataka,
One quick question.  If every host is granted a range of public port
numbers on the static stateful NAT device, what happens when
two customers need access to the same port number?

Because there's no way in a DNS NS entry to specify a
port number, if I need to run a DNS server behind this
static NAT, I *have* to be given port 53 in my range;
there's no other way to make DNS work.  This means
that if I have two customers that each need to run a
DNS server, I have to put them on separate static
NAT boxes--because they can't both get access to
port 53.

This limits the effectiveness of a stateful static NAT
box to the number of customers that need hard-wired
port numbers to be mapped through; which, depending
on your customer base, could end up being all of them,
at which point you're back to square one, with every
customer needing at least 1 IPv4 address dedicated
to them on the NAT device.

Either that, or you simply tell your customers "so sorry
you didn't get on the Internet soon enough; you're all
second class citizens that can't run your own servers;
if you need to do that, you can go pay Amazon to host
your server needs."

And perhaps that's not as unreasonable as it first sounds;
we may all start running IPv4-IPv6 application gateways
on Amazon, so that IPv6-only networks can still interact
with the IPv4-only internet, and Amazon will be the great
glue that holds it all together.

tl;dr -- "if only we'd thought of putting a port number field
in the NS records in DNS back in 1983..."

Matt