Periodically I still do some work on routing protocols. 12? years ago I had kind
of given up on ospf and isis, and picked the babel protocol as an IGP
for meshy networks because I felt link-state had gone as far as it
could and somehow unifying BGP DV with an IGP that was also DV
(distance vector) seemed like a path forward.

My question for this list is basically, has anyone noticed or fiddled
with babel? It's supported
in FRR, bird, and a very small standalone daemon.

Anyway, after babel hit the ietf, development slowed down a lot, but
along the way some useful innovations were made, notably a RTT metric,
 "source specific routing" for ipv6, HMAC authentication, and most
recently, Juliusz's announcement of V4-via-v6 hit the git babeld
codebase.

To recap that:

"V4-via-v6 routing is a routing technique that allows routers with
only IPv6 addresses (including link-locals) to forward IPv4 packets.
It doesn't involve encapsulation (tunnelling), it doesn't involve
translation (NAT), it just works.  For details, please see

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-babel-v4viav6

Short story: v4viav6 is enabled by default if your linux kernel is
recent enough.  Just upgrade babeld to current master, and you should
see your v6-only routers forward IPv4 packets.  In order to disable
announcing of v4-via-v6 routes, add the following to your
configuration file:

    default v4-via-v6 false

Long story.  There are two pieces to v4-via-v6: installing IPv4 routes
with an IPv6 next hop, and announcing such routes.  By default, babeld will:

  - install v4-via-v6 routes on Linux 5.2 and later;
  - announce v4-via-v6 routes on Linux 5.13 and later.
(backports are available for various stable versions)

The former behaviour cannot be overridden -- we always install
v4-via-v6 routes if the kernel supports them, and (obviously) never do
otherwise. The latter behaviour can be overridden by the interface
option 'v4-via-v6'. Feel free to experiment, but be aware that
enabling v4-via-v6 on an older kernel might create ICMP blackholes.

Please let me know if you feel that it should be possible to
completely disable v4-via-v6 even on newer kernels, and whether you
feel that v4-via-v6 should be disabled by default.  (The "Security
Considerations" section of the draft cited above might be
interesting.)"

Enjoy,

-- Juliusz

Juliusz Chroboczek via alioth-lists.debian.net

Thu, Mar 31, 3:30 PM (3 days ago)

to babel-users, Théophile

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC