> On 13 Apr 2022, at 1:33 AM, Doug Barton <do...@dougbarton.us> wrote:
>
> On 4/12/22 9:56 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> Doug, we’re not contracting with these parties to provide any other
>> services…i.e.  there’s nothing to "add a rider to”.
>> (Those who have any registration services agreement with ARIN already have
>> access to all services incl. RPKI)
>
> Thank you for considering my suggestion. Perhaps I misunderstand the current
> state.
>
> I'm thinking of a scenario where a person holds legacy space, with no [L]RSA,
> but they do have a registered ASN through ARIN (for example). In that
> scenario are they eligible for RPKI for their legacy space?

Doug -

My apologies - I didn't quite understand the scenario that you were
considering…   Yes, there are organizations that already have registration
services agreements with ARIN for either ASNs or IPv6, and now that we have
uniform fee schedule it is trivial to bring their legacy IPv4 number resources
under such an existing agreement with a simple addendum – and then the legacy
number resources receive full registry services including RPKI.

Of course this probably doesn’t address the concerns of some legacy resource
holders, expressed generally as “there’s no way my legal department will ever
let us sign the ARIN RSA….”  In fact, that’s often not the case with such
customers: they already have signed the ARIN RSA when they obtained their ASN
or IPv6 number resources, so that’s really not the issue, rather it is belief
that there is some elusive property enshrined in their legacy IPv4 number
resources that can't be described but will dissipate if brought under a
registration services agreement.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers

P.S.  While legacy resource holders do benefit from a basic services without
any fee or contract, and if brought under agreement get a rather favorable
total annual cap on their registry maintenance fees [currently $150/yr,
increasing $25 / year] – those are simply benefits that are provided for the
folks that were involved in the early days of the Internet and held number
resources at ARIN’s formation in 1997 (rather than some strange intrinsic
property of certain IP address blocks…)