When GPS is working, time transmission with accuracies of under 1
microsecond is common.   This is especially true if the GPS integrates some
sort of disciplined oscillator.  Note that this is in excess of what NTPd
running on a typical OS can reliably retransmit.

BUT..  if I was to choose only one protocol, it would be NTP, not GPS,
because of all of the reasons you mention.

I find it distressing that sites are relying on GPS only.  I suspect that
this a failure to assign proper risk to using GPS.  It's particularly odd
when one considers that adding NTP time sources are essentially free and
improve robustness and reliability greatly.

NTP is not without it's risks but the most common server implementation is
specifically designed to be able to discard time sources which are not
telling the truth, provided the server is given enough valid time sources.
Even if a spoofed or misconfigured server is giving the wrong time,  NTPd
will be able to ignore those errant time sources.

 When configured with numerous network time sources and a GPS source,  NTPd
will determine what the correct time should be, and then will use the
higher accuracy GPS source to improve the overall accuracy.  This is more
or less automatic since the latency to the GPS time source will be
essentially zero when compared to a typical network source.

However,  if the GPS source starts lying about the time,  NTPd will start
ignoring it as a potential time source even with the lower latency.
Without having non-GPS sources in your configuration, this essentially free
protection against GPS spoofing is no longer available since it has nothing
to compare it to.

If your network is large enough that you could install multiple GPS
receivers in diverse locations,  then I'd configure all of the NTPd servers
to pull from all of the GPS receivers.  That way you gain additional
redundancy.  I'd still not drop the public trusted NTP servers though.