On 8/18/23 19:38, Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG wrote:

That's true Robert.

However, communities and med only work with neighbors.

Communities routinely get scrubbed because they cause increased memory usage and convergence time in routers.

Really?

We only scrub a specific string of communities that would trigger undesired outcomes in our network if received from customers. Otherwise, we pass on what we receive and just add our own bits... matches will still occur?

In 2023 control planes, I can't think of an obvious reason to justify that communities are scrubbed to save memory.

Mark.