On 8/21/23 17:44, Tom Beecher wrote:

    So, while this all sounds good, without any specifics on vendor,
    box, code, code revision number, fix, year it happened, current
    status, e.t.c., I can't offer any meaningful engagement.

If you clicked Matt's link to the Google search, you could tell from the results what vendor , model, and year it was pretty quickly.

I did.

Those are headlines.

The solider that was on the battlefield won't speak to the exact details.

I won't press, especially because nobody that needed a T1600 back then probably still runs one today.

Assertion Made : "Networks can scrub communities for memory or convergence reasons."
Others : "That doesn't seem like a concern. "
Matt : "Here was a real situation that happened where it was a concern, and the specifics on the reason why."

How is that not 'moving the needle? Because you didn't get full transcripts of his conversation with the vendor?. I'm sure a lot of people didn't even know that hashing / memory hotspotting was even a thing. Now they do.

There are a lot of things that vendors have fixed in BGP that we shall never know.

What I am saying is that for those that have been fixed, unless someone can offer up any additional evidence in 2023, the size of the number of BGP communities attached to a path does not scream "danger" in 2023 hardware. And the T1600 is a looooong time ago.

Mark.