On 9/2/23 17:04, Masataka Ohta wrote:

Both of you are totally wrong, because the proper thing to do
here is to police, if *ANY*, based on total traffic without
detecting any flow.

I don't think it's as much an issue of flow detection as it is the core's ability to balance the Layer 2 payload across multiple links effectively.

At our shop, we understand the limitations of trying to carry large EoMPLS flows across an IP/MPLS network that is, primarily, built to carry IP traffic.

While some vendors have implemented adaptive load balancing algorithms on decent (if not custom) silicon that can balance EoMPLS flows as well as they can IP flows, it is hit & miss depending on the code, hardware, vendor, e.t.c.

In our case, our ability to load balance EoMPLS flows as well as we do IP flows has improved since we moved to the PTX1000/10001 for our core routers. But even then, we will not sell anything above 40Gbps as an EoMPLS service. Once it gets there, time for EoDWDM. At least, until 800Gbps or 1Tbps Ethernet ports become both technically viable and commercially feasible.

For as long as core links are based on 100Gbps and 400Gbps ports, optical carriage for 40Gbps and above is more sensible than EoMPLS.

Mark.