On 10/2/23 20:58, Tim Burke wrote:

Hurricane has been doing the same thing lately... but their schtick is to say that
"we are seeing a significant amount of hops in your AS path and wanted to know if
you are open to resolve this issue".

I get what HE are trying to do here, as I am sure all of us do.

The potential fallout is a declining relationship with their existing customers that bring other downstream ISP's behind them. Contacting those downstream ISP's to "resolve this issue" puts them at odds with their existing customers who bring those customers in already.

There is a chance they dilute their income because, well, smaller ISP's will not be keen to pay the higher transit fees their upstreams pay to HE. Which means that HE are more willing to be closer to eyeballs than they are maximizing margins.

Is the loss of customer trust worth the transit-free glory?

Mark.