On 10/2/23 22:59, Matthew Petach wrote:

Huh?

In all my decades of time in the network industry, I have never seen a case where a smaller transit contract had lower per mbit cost than a larger volume contract.

I would expect that HE would make *more* money off 10 smaller customer transit contracts than one big tier 3 wholesaler transit contract.

That's my point.

Smaller ISP's will get better per-Mbps rates from their direct upstreams than they would from HE/Cogent. The rates they'd get from HE/Cogent would be to HE's/Cogen's favour, and not to the ISP's favour.

So if the goal is transit-free glory vanity, HE/Cogent would have to take a bit of a haircut which they "could" make up in contract length.

Just another way to skin the cat.

Mark.