On Jan 5, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Stefan Fouant wrote:

> The trick is to try to automate as much around the process as possible - I've
> worked in environments where just making little changes to incident handling
> response methods reduced the time to mitigate an attack from hours to
> minutes, all the while still requiring an operator to press the "big red
> button" to offramp and enable the mitigation.

Concur 100% - and when the end-customer is under attack and screaming, this
reduction in time to detect/classify/traceback/mitigate makes all the
difference.

Your very salient comments highlight the paramount importance of preparation as
the key enabling phase of the six-phase security incident-handling methodology:

1.      Preparation.

2.      Detection/identification.

3.      Classification.

4.      Traceback.

5.      Reaction.

6.      Post-mortem (feeding lessons learned back into the Preparation phase).

Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken