On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:50:26PM -0500, Dan White wrote:
> On 08/04/10 17:17 +0000, bmann...@vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> >     in the IPv4 space, it was common to have a min allocation size of
> >     a /20 ... or 4,096 addresses ... and yet this amnt of space was
> >     allocated to someone who only needed to address "3 servers"... say
> >     six total out of a pool of four thousand ninty six.
>
> Granted, that may have been the case many years ago.
>
> However, this was not our experience when we obtained addresses, and the
> ARIN rules as I understand them would not allow such an allocation today.

        i picked a fairly recent example - the min allocation
        size has fluctuated over time.  still it is not the case
        that most folks will get -exactly- what they need - they
        will - in nearly every case - get more address space than
        they need - due to the min allocation rules

> >     Thats a huge amnt of wasted space.  If our wise and pragmatic leaders
> >     (drc, jc, et.al.) are correct, then IPv4 will be around for a very
> >     long time.
> >
> >     What, if any, plan exists to improve the utilization density of the
> >     existant IPv4 pool?
>
> I believe your question is based on an outdated assumption.

        and that outdated assumption is?

> Dan White

--bill