On Apr 9, 2010, at 4:39 AM, Martin Barry wrote:

> $quoted_author = "Joe Greco" ;
>>
>>> Perhaps the true issue is that what you see as broken is perceived as
>>> "working
>>> as intended" by much of the community and membership?
>>
>> That's a great point.  Would you agree, then, that much of the community
>> and membership implicitly sees little value in IPv6?

I really don't know how much or how little value is seen in IPv6 by "much" of
the community. I see tremendous value in IPv6. I also see a number of
flaws in IPv6 (failure to include a scalable routing paradigm, for example).
Nonetheless, IPv4 is unsustainable going forward (NAT is bad enough,
LSN is even worse).

I do believe that IPv6 is being deployed and that deployment is accelerating.
I'm actually in a pretty good position to see that happen since I have access
to flow statistics for a good portion of the IPv6 internet.

The IPv6 internet today is already carrying more traffic than the IPv4
internet carried 10 years ago.

Many others see value in IPv6. Comcast and Verizon have both announced
residential customer IPv6 trials. Google, You Tube and Netflix are all
available as production services on IPv6. Yahoo has publicly announced
plans to have production services on IPv6 in the near future although they
have not yet announced specific dates.

I leave it up to you to consider whether that constitutes "much" of the
community or not.

> Is that orthogonal to Owen's statement?

I don't see how the term orthogonal would apply here.

>> You can claim that's a bit of a stretch, but quite frankly, the RIR
>> policies, the sketchy support by providers, the lack of v6 support in
>> much common gear, and so many other things seem to be all conspiring
>> against v6 adoption.  I need only point to v6 adoption rates to support
>> that statement.
>
> Which rates would those be?
>
> http://www.ipv6actnow.org/info/statistics/
>
> IPv6 has had a slow start but it's certainly picking up.

IPv6 started approximately 20 years behind IPv4. It's already caught
up with IPv4 traffic levels of 10 years ago. Deployment is accelerating
and IPv4 will hit a sustainability wall in the near future.

Owen