On 4/9/2010 12:30 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Put differently, you work in this arena too...  you've presumably
>> talked to stakeholders.  Can you list some of the reasons people have
>> provided for not adopting v6, and are any of them related to the v6
>> policies regarding address space?
>>
> Reasons:

(many excellent reasons removed)

Let me just add on:

+Bonus Fear: Because IPv6 deployments are small and vendors are still
ironing out software, there's concern that deploying it in a production
network could cause issues.  (Whether or not this fear is legitimate
with vendor x, y, or z isn't the issue.  The fear exists.)

+Bonus Uncertainty: There is a lack of consensus on how IPv6 is to be
deployed.  For example, look at the ongoing debates on point to point
network sizes and the /64 network boundary in general.  There's also no
tangible benefit to deploying IPv6 right now, and the tangible danger
that your v6 deployment will just have to be redone because there's some
flaw in the current v6  protocol or best practices that will be uncovered.

+Bonus Doubt: Because we've been told that "IPv4 will be dead in 2
years" for the last 20 years, and that "IPv6 will be deployed and a way
of life in 2 years" for the past 10, nobody really believes it anymore.
There's been an ongoing chant of "wolf" for so long, many people won't
believe it until things are much, much worse.

-Dave