On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Owen DeLong wrote:

I'm looking at both, and, frankly, LSN (large scale NAT) is not as trivial as you think. I actually talk to and work with some of these very large providers on a regular basis. None of them is looking forward to deploying LSN with anything but dread. The support issues, user experience, CALEA problems, and other issues with LSN are huge. None of them that I am aware of are considering using lSN to free up addresses to hand over to hosting providers.

Well said.

I've been pondering LSN lately. I think people have haven't been involved in large scale service changes or migrations can't appreciate just how many unanticipated edge cases can appear and blindside a project.

I expect that deploying IPv6 will be far less problematic than deploying LSN for a large ISP.

Rob

--
Email: rob...@timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver