On 09/09/11 20:06 -0700, Michael DeMan wrote:
Sorry for being ignorant here - I have not even been aware that it is
possible to buy a '*.*.com' domain at all.

I though wildcards were limited to having a domain off a TLD - like
'*.mydomain.tld'.

Is it true that the my browser on a windows, mac, or linux desktop may
have listed as trusted authorities, an outfit that sells '*.*.tld' ?

The issue is that a trusted third party's (Diginotar) trusted signing
certificate was stolen, allowing the holder to create and sign whatever
certificates he wished, which don't necessarily need to be wildcard certs
to be effective.

Certificate signers are not restricted to any domain hierarchy (a design
feature of x.509 pki), which means that *any* trusted stolen signing
certificate can wreak havok on the trusted nature of x.509.

Even the hint that the claimed Diginotar cracker has gotten her hands
on several other signing certificates may be significant motivation to find
a replacement for the existing x.509 based pki.