On 08/03/2012 11:44 AM, Richard Miller wrote:
Chris,
   Been thinking about taking that "route" no pun intended. It just
moves the main link off-site. We've had these T1s for so long the
maintenance and ops have become second nature. Someone should be able to
route over a DSL/Cable/whatever link. Especially if we had a simple
static IP setup.

the prices are nuts here or T1s. Back in the day I was paying 3000 per
T1..now it's 500/mnth for 1.5 symmetrical. I can get 50/5 or 15/5 from
various providers for around 100/mnth!

Rich

Truth be told you don't even need to pay for a static ip if your termination point supports dynamic clients (i.e. a vpn). It's usually easiest if you have a server as your gateway for the local network too, that'll permit some more granular allowances with the ips, forwarding, etc. OpenVPN is a pretty good daemon for the tunnel. The only thing to keep in mind with the dynamic ips is once in a blue moon (for my area at least) you'll pick up a new ip and have a brief period of packet loss as the vpn re-establishes.

Regards,

        Chris