On Jul 22, 2014, at 08:27 , Aaron <aa...@wholesaleinternet.net> wrote:

> So let me throw out a purely hypothetical scenario to the collective:
>
> What do you think the consequences to a municipality would be if they laid
> fiber to every house in the city and gave away internet access for free?  Not
> the WiFi builds we have today but FTTH at gigabit speeds for free?

I think the project would be enjoined before it could get permitted. I don't
think they'd be allowed to move a single backhoe in support of the project.

> Do you think the LECs would come unglued?

Definition: LEC -- Local Exchange Carrier -- A law firm masquerading as a
communications company.

Yeah, I think they'd come unglued and wallpaper every courthouse between city
hall and the state capital until such a project was not only illegal, but any
city that considered such a notion faced huge fines for even thinking about it.

That doesn't mean I think it's a bad idea, just what I think would actually
happen.

Owen