> As I recall, BART does not permit anything on their trains--water, baby
> bottles, and I thought radios.  How do they get the authority to do that?

They do not permit eating or drinking. You can carry water, baby bottles, etc.
on BART trains.

You can carry a radio. You can operate a radio. You are prohibited from
operating a radio in a manner that is disruptive to other passengers just as on
almost any other form of public transit.

If you’ve got headphones/earbuds/whatever and use them in a way that doesn’t
subject the people around you to the noise coming out of your electronics, then
rock out to your heart’s content.

Owen