> On Jul 10, 2015, at 22:34 , Mel Beckman <m...@beckman.org> wrote:
>
> Owen,
>
> I never said it was a greenfield deployment. Someone else tagged it with that
> term.
>
> My understanding of the term "greenfield" WRT wifi is that there are no
> interfering signals to contend with. I don't know of any U.S. airport that
> meets that definition. First you have all the wifi of concessionaires, the
> airlines'  passenger clubs and operations, and service organizations for
> food, fuel, and FAA. You can't control those users, thanks to the FAA's
> recent decisions restricting wifi regulation to itself.

I suppose if you’re going to use that definition, there’s no such thing.

However, as a general rule when I talk about a greenfield deployment of a
network (of any form), I, and I suspect most people, are referring to a network
that is not yet saddled with any legacy deployment issues. E.g. a building that
has not yet been designed. A situation where you can start from scratch with a
fresh design and specify everything from the ground up, at least in terms of
the major design factors in the network.

> Acceptance testing is straightforward once it's been designed and scripted.
> You bring in a wifi traffic generator (from a professional test services
> company) that can simulate 1000 or more wifi clients to impose a known
> traffic load on the network. You then use sample passenger devices of each
> type -- smartphone, tablet, and laptop -- as well as various popular OS's to
> run pre-engineered regression test scripts, recording performance via a wifi
> sniffer. The sniffer capture then goes through offline analysis to compare
> actual throughout and response times with the original design metrics. You do
> this for selected sub areas having typical characteristics, such as a gate,
> security queue, baggage or dining area, at a time when it's empty.
>
> The testing process takes a day or two per airport terminal. Yes, the
> acceptance test needs to be revised and repeated for deploying IPv6. That is
> a small cost compared to the already-expended months of deployment planning
> and rollout. The incremental IPv6 acceptance test cost is in the noise,
> dwarfed even by the price of conduit.

Right, but if you’re starting fresh with a new design, why not design IPv6 in
from the start? There’s really no incremental cost to doing so and your
long-term savings can be substantial.

> I do agree that there are potential performance gains with IPv6, through
> avoiding NAT. But those benefits will still be there in a year or two, and
> will be much larger then than they are today. Moreover, the user population
> is not growing rapidly, and can easily fit into simple NAT with the airport's
> existing IPv4 space.

Let me guess… You’re still running on a computer with 640k of RAM.

Owen