On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, Sander Steffann wrote:

I want to go to an IXP being a nice simple ethernet switch. Add some nice graphs and a route server, and we're done. Redundancy is a separate switch :)

So how should the larger distributed IXPs solve this? Provide optical DWDM transport? Dark fiber? What if there are no chassis on the market large enough to accomodate creating a single switch for all customers to connect to? Have multiple L2 domains and require people to connect to multiple switches? Even bumping people off of an existing switch when that is full, to move some traffic over to another new switch chassis?

What about buffer requirements? If you want a buffered switch, it increases capex and lowers number of switch-models that can be used. Microbuffered switches may lose packets in microbursts when ports are being run (near) full.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se