From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-boun...@nanog.org] On Behalf Of Dave Cohen
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 5:53 PM
To: Bill Woodcock <wo...@pch.net>
Cc: nanog@nanog.org
Subject: Re: US/Canada International border concerns for routing

It seems to me the original question was asking about it more from a legal
perspective, in other words does Canadian traffic have to stay in Canada. IANAL
(or a Canadian), but the answer is "mostly, no, especially as related to
publicly routed traffic" as should be evidenced based on what's already been
discussed here. In other words, there is restricted traffic but unless you're
making a play for MAN/WAN type service on owned infrastructure, those
requirements are unlikely to arise.

To support the macro point, there is some big-boy level peering in Toronto but
not really much else outside that, but there are plenty of routes that don't
cross the border if you don't have to jump networks to your destination, for
example going to an AWS on ramp in Canada using a native partner network,
especially in the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal.

Dave Cohen
craetd...@gmail.com

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 8:41 PM, Bill Woodcock <wo...@pch.net> wrote:
>

> --Apple-Mail=_8DA28412-F6D0-43D8-A90F-5E151E54468E
>

>> On Aug 8, 2017, at 5:33 PM, Clayton Zekelman <clay...@mnsi.net> wrote:
>> =20
>> =20
>> =20
>> With the peering policies of the major Canadian ISPs, you're
>> virtually =
> guaranteed to hairpin through the US on most paths.
>> =20
>> Robellus (Rogers, Bell & Telus) will peer with you at any of their =
> major Canadian peering points, such as NYC, Chicago or LA.
>
> To be fair, Rogers does peer in Toronto.  Along with New York,
> Chicago, = Seattle, and Ashburn.
>
>                                -Bill
>

> --Apple-Mail=_8DA28412-F6D0-43D8-A90F-5E151E54468E

> --Apple-Mail=_8DA28412-F6D0-43D8-A90F-5E151E54468E--

in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message
and any attachments from your system.