The only viable merchant silicon chip that would be useful for a IXP is from
the StrataDNX-family which house the jericho/qumran/petra/arad chips from
broadcom. No packetbuffer in the exhangepoint will shred performance
significantly, especially when one of your bursty 100G customers starts sending
data into 1/10G customers.

To the best of my knowledge the only one that offers DNX in whitebox-fashion is
Agema and Edgecore. But why whitebox? Except on a very few occasions whitebox
is just "i like paying hardware and software on different invoices = whitebox"
the TCO is just the same but. As an exchangepoint i also see that it can hard
to reap the benefits of all the hipstershit going on in these NOS-startups, you
want spanning-tree, port-security, something to loadbalance over links and
perhaps a overlaying-technology if the IXP becomes to big and distributed, like
vxlan. This is to easy almost.

Whenever i see unbuffered mix-speed IXPs i ask if i can pay 25% of the portcost
since that is actually how much oumpfff i would get through the port.

// hugge @ 2603