Den 20/05/2018 kl. 05.43 skrev valdis.kletni...@vt.edu:
On Sat, 19 May 2018 22:28:07 +0200, Baldur Norddahl said:
What happened to do not trust anyone? Create your own resiliency by being
multihomed to as many transits you can afford.
Re-read what David Hubbard said:

unacceptable period of time (many hours).  I’m learning that the entire
market is served by just two fiber routes, through cities hundreds of miles
away in either direction.  So, basically two fiber cuts, potentially 1000+
miles apart, takes the entire region down.
If in fact there's only two fiber conduit approaches to the area,  he's
basically stuck no matter how many companies sell him bandwidth in those two
conduits. He can contract with 8 companies to have 4 paths through each
conduit, and 2 cable cuts *still* leave him dead in the water.

He is complaining about AS3356 in specific and claiming they COULD reroute around it but choose not to. This leads me to assume there are alternatives. Two places, Miami and Texas, are mentioned and that a double fault, one in Miami and another in Texas would bring down the network. I am from Europe, but am I to believe that Miami and Texas (or anywhere between those two) are served by only two fiber conduits? This would have several big states only connected two ways.

The question was if downtime on a transit provider of many hours is unacceptable. I am offering my experience that this happens to all of them. Some of them can have problems that last days not hours. Do not ever assume that a so called "tier 1" network is good as your only transit.

Also a total cut of from the world is the good kind of trouble they can have. That would just lead them to lose a large part of the global routing table. Your router will automatically choose one of your other transits. The bad kind of trouble is when they have packet loss to some few (but important) destinations and your customer thinks it is you that is having issues. And basically all you can do about it is to "shutdown" the session and wait until they fixed the issue.

I am offering the view that one might consider that kind of downtime unacceptable, but it is just a matter of fact that they all have it. The two options to avoid it is to buy from a smaller local ISP instead - one that has multiple transits. Or to have multiple transits yourself and be prepared to deal with it.

Regards

Baldur