<CAE-M_OBdDv1+DFto=h1o-ghlbs2tq_x_p9kuw4ls24msbaw...@mail.gmail.com> you write:
    >>> I asked one of the EU regulators at RSA how they intended to enforce
GDPR
    >>> violations on businesses that don't operate in their jurisdiction and
    >>> without hesitation he told me they'd use civil courts to sue the
offending
    >>> companies.
    >>
    >> He probably thought you meant if he's in France and the business is in
    >> Ireland, since they're both in the EU.  Outside the EU, on the other
    >> hand, ...
    >>
    >> If they try to sue in, say, US courts, the US court will ask them to
    >> explain why a US court should try a suit under foreign law.  There is
    >> a very short list of reasons to do that, and this isn't on it.
    >
    > Actually, due to treaty, it is. At least according to some lawyers that
have been advising ICANN stakeholder group(s).

>    Also, don't forget the private right of action.  Anyone can file anything
> in the U.S. courts... you  may get it dismissed (although then again you may
> not) but either way, it's going to be time and money out of your pocket
> fighting it.  MUCH better to just get compliant than to end up a test case.

Isn't "better" a factor of how much it costs to become compliant with GPDR?
I'm no expert, but some of the things I've heard sounded not trivial to
implement (read potentially BIG investment).

-dan