at 10:57 AM, Fredy Kuenzler <kuenz...@init7.net> wrote:

Is anyone else affected by a massive price increase for x-conns by
Telehouse Chelsea?

When we moved in a few years ago they were asking 150$, it changed to
200$ and now we are asked to pay 260$. That's 73% more. I don't think
inflation is that high in the United states.

I get the impression that they feel comfortable enough to abuse their
position. When we complained they simply said 'you may consider to
cancel the contract'.

Of course they don't provide any better service, in fact, the service
quality is commonly indirectly proportional to the price at most 'big
names'. #rant

I suggest to anyone considering to buy colocation space in NYC (or
elsewhere) not to choose Telehouse, unlike a few years ago.

--
Fredy Kuenzler
Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.

$300 MRC for a once-off cross connect isn’t unreasonable. There’s costs and labor involved in running that cable through a riser. Especially if you want it in innerduct.

I’m not sure what Telehouse’s policies are because I’m not a customer, but some companies (TelX comes to mind) you can order them in bulk at a significant discount. Even with the extra labor involved in splicing it to a panel, running a 12 or 24 count cable into a cabinet is a much easier pill to swallow than having a guy up on a ladder or under a floor every time you want to turn up a customer.

Then there’s always off-market options too. You don’t need to be in New York to have decent connectivity to the New York metro region. There’s a few places in Jersey that offer free cross connects in their meet-me rooms because they’re so desperate to have carriers move into their facilities. I don’t think many of them have connectivity to major peering fabrics, though.