On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM Nick Bogle <n...@bogle.se> wrote:
> If you had a single dry pair (pair of copper wires originally for phones)
> to a remote site that was around 6 miles away, what would you use?
> We currently are just extending a T1 line to this site, but 1.5Mbps
> isn't cutting it anymore. Unfortunately it's a research site on a federally
> protected wildlife preserve so we can't run any new infrastructure
> (fiber etc)

Also, if there's power and dry pair copper to the site then there are
utility poles to the site that are grandfathered under whatever the
current regulations are. Since poles rot and trees take down wires
there must also be provisions for maintaining them. A good lawyer can
probably figure out how you can add a cable to those existing poles
without running afoul of the regs, particularly since its in service
to a research site.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--